Saturday, July 13, 2013

Meringue nests/Pavlova: Depending where you live

So Im not entirely sure if you have all seen the show "American baking competition" but if you are a baker, it is awesome!  I learned soo much about baking from watching these amateurs compete to take home the ultimate prize of a cookbook deal!
Sadly it wasn't a long show, having only a small number of episodes but there were a few where I was mesmerized as to how to make things that I didn't know existed (or didn't know the "American" term for)!  One of the "showstoppers" was a meringue tart with custard and fruit topped on it.  I liked this because it reminded me of my days in France where I would see meringues in the pastry shops' windows constantly.  Having never actually having tried a meringue (other than on my lemon pie), I decided to try my best and create my version of the same thing.

I have some of my closest friends over today to be my guinea pigs! :) Thanks guys!

Pavlova Recipe: Courtesy of Chef John on Allrecipes.com
  • Directions:
  • 1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
  • 2. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
  • 3. Whisk sugar and cornstarch in a bowl. Set aside.
  • 4. Beat egg whites in a bowl until they are foamy and have a thick, ribbony texture, 2 to 3 minutes.
  • 5. Pour 1/4 of the sugar mixture into the egg whites; whisk until completely incorporated, about 30 seconds. Repeat for the rest of the sugar mixture, whisking after each addition, until all of the sugar mixture is incorporated and the egg whites are glossy and thick.
  • 6. Pour vanilla and vinegar into egg white mixture; whisk until you can lift your beater or whisk straight up and the egg whites form a sharp peak that holds its shape, 2 to 3 minutes.
  • 7. Spoon egg white mixture onto prepared baking sheet; spread out into a 2-inch high by 6-inch wide disc.
  • 8. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
  • 9. Turn off the oven, crack open the oven door and let the Pavlova cool for one hour.
10. Spoon lemon filling onto meringues and garnish with berries. Enjoy!

In the oven like this


Served with Sheriff lemon pie filling and fresh berries

No comments:

Post a Comment