Wednesday, March 14, 2012

What to do with left over egg yolks

So as my title says, I had quite a few egg yolks left over from the macarons. Its not very often that you see recipes with yolks so I did a google search and found 2 things which I wanted to try.  1 was chocolate mousse and the other was Normandy butter cookies.  Well those of you who know me will guess which one I chose: The Normandy cookies.  For those of you who are lost, I lived in France for a couple of years and lived in Normandy in particular!

I am not thrilled with the consistency of these cookies as they are very gritty looking and you can see the yolk bits in the picture.  I assure you that they taste ok. I hate wasting food which is why I get people to taste test them anyway even though it looks sketch.

I was supposed to cut them in circles but I am in the middle of packing my stuff and all my cookie cutters are packed away so I made rectangular shapes (some are not as rectangular as others!).
Not a bad recipe all in all. Just be sure that if you use it, you shouldn't worry about the dough not sticking together because after you take the dough out of the fridge, it is easy to mould the cookies in your hands.  Just be sure and have some space because this gets messy!


Sablés Normands * Normandy Butter Cookies (scroll down to see who posted it)
 These sablés will keep for several weeks in an airtight container.
INGREDIENTS
1-1⁄4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
5 tablespoons superfine sugar (NOT confectioners’ sugar)
2 large egg yolks
3 oz. softened butter (I use salted butter. If you use unsalted, I would suggest you add a bit of salt to the recipe. I've tried it with unsalted butter and without added salt, per the original recipe, and it really seems to be missing it.)
DIRECTIONS
1. Place the flour into the bowl of a food processor. Add the sugar and pulse for a moment to mix. Then add the butter and the egg yolks. Process until the dough begins to gather together. If it seems too dry to stick together, add ice water, 1⁄2 teaspoon at a time, through the feed-tube. It will look kind of granular but, when you turn it out of the food processor bowl, you should be able to gather it together into a ball. Flatten it slightly into a disc-shape, which makes it easier to roll out. Wrap the disc in plastic wrap or a plastic bag and refrigerate for an hour.
2. Preheat oven to 375°. Butter one large or two small baking sheets or line them with parchment paper.
3. Roll the dough out to a thickness of 1⁄4-inch (I find this easiest to do if I sandwich the dough between a couple of pieces of plastic wrap or a zip-top bag that I've opened on 3 sides) and cut into 1-1⁄4-inch to 1-1⁄2-inch circles using a smooth or fluted round cutter.
4. Arrange the sablés on the baking sheet(s) and bake until just turning golden, about 10 minutes. Cool on a rack before serving.
IMPORTANT NOTES:
1. Do NOT use margarine in an effort to conserve on fat and/or calories. I’ve tried to make this recipe with a few different brands of margarine and, to be honest, the results were absolutely not worth the effort of baking them to begin with; the texture and the taste were completely wrong. Make them right and just eat a few, then give the rest away. Your family and friends will be extremely grateful.
2. These cookies will be somewhat soft and fragile when you transfer them from the baking sheet to the cooling rack, so be careful. They’ll firm up as they cool.
3. LET THE COOKIES COOL COMPLETELY before you taste them; it will make a surprisingly big difference in both taste and texture.

Yum Yum!
EDIT: as of Monday March 19th, the sablés were taken to work and eaten up like vultures!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment